- Oct 23 - Congratulations to Steve Hersch
('04-'06) and the University of Toronto Blues who
won the OUA Championships this weekend. Steve walked
and stole second in a 5-run 8th inning on route to a
8-4 UofT victory over Western.
- Oct - Congratulations to James Wakutz ('11) and
the Durham Lords who won the CIBA Championships this
weekend in Moncton, New Brunswick. Durham
defeated Humber 6-1 in the final.
- Oct 23 - Four NY Midget graduates participated
on OUA baseball teams this season -
Steve Hersch ('04-'06) at the University of
Justin Firth ('09) at Queen's, and
Justin Newbold ('07-'09) and
Andrew Ziedins ('09-'11) at Wilfred Laurier.
Two NY Midget graduates participated on a CIBA
baseball team -
Justin Simon ('09) at McGill and
James Wakutz ('11) at Durham.
- Aug 27 - There were 79 practices/games for the
NY Midget team - dating back to Sept 22nd of 2010
(an exhibition game against EOBA Allstars) and
including indoor training. Of those 79
gatherings, Allan led the team with an attendance
rate of 93.67% - missing only five activities.
Marlon attended the second-most events (87.34%) and
missed only ten activities. Though Thomas had
the team's highest on-base percentage, he also had
the lowest attendance (58.23%) and missed
- Aug 25 - Game #5 of the Howie Birnie Challenge
Cup, against North Toronto, was never played and NY
won the multi-game challenge series 4 games to 0.
- Aug 13 - NY Midgets won the TBA Midget AA
playoffs on Saturday by beating West Toronto in two
games - winning 12-6 and 15-2. A number of NY
players had excellent games. NY qualified for
the OBA tournament in Brantford during the Aug 26-28
- Aug 12 - West Toronto won Round 1 of the Midget
AA playoffs - and meet NY in Round 2 of the playoffs
on Saturday afternoon.
- Aug 6 - Game #5 of the Howie Birnie Challenge
Cup was postponed due to rain and unplayable field
conditions and will be played after the TBA
playoffs. Monday's practice time changed to 7:45.
- Aug 2 - The OBA classified 15 teams as 'Midget
AA' and only 12 teams can attend the OBA tournament.
There are two Midget AA teams in each of the COBA,
YSBA, SPBA, EOBA affiliates - and both teams are
eligible to attend the tournament. However, in
the TBA where there are three teams classified as
Midget AA, only one team is eligible to attend the
tournament. This is the first time in
three years, at any age group, that the affiliate
with *more* classified teams in a series is eligible
to send *fewer* representatives to the OBA
tournament. The OBA has pushed the blame onto
the TBA for this anomaly and the TBA has not
responded to repeated requests for an explanation.
- Aug 2 - NY must win the TBA playoffs to qualify
for the OBA tournament.
- July 30 - Playoff schedule posted.
updated. We will practice on Monday August 8th
at 7:00pm - not on Saturday.
- Aug 4 - NY Midgets defeated West Toronto 7-4 in
the last regular season game for both teams.
Nik did a great job keeping score and counting
pitches. NY meets North Toronto on Sunday
night at Bond for Game #5 of the Howie Birnie
Challenge Cup series. NY leads the series 4-0.
- Aug 2 - NY Midgets edged Martingrove 5-3 on
Tuesday night. NY was losing 3-0 after five
innings but tied the game in the 6th and scored two
runs in the 7th. Allan was walked three times.
Tyson recorded his eighth win of the year (NY Midget
record is eleven) and had three hits. NY
Midgets needed two callups to field a roster of ten
- Aug 2 - Congratulations to the North York Bantam
AAA team who won the Eliminations! The NY
Bantams travel to Vaughan on August 25th to
represent Ontario in the National Championships.
- July 23 - Sunday practice is canceled.
- July 21 - NY defeated West Toronto 12-5 for our
25th win of the year. The score was 3-1 for WT
through six innings but NY batted around in the
final three innings of the game. Umesh, Allan
and Matt each had three RBI. Steven came to
bat four times in the last three innings. NY
set a new NY Midget record for walks with 19.
The game was the longest of the year at 2 hours and
50 minutes as the temperate reached 37 degrees.
- July 19 - NY lost 10-9 against East York AAA on
Tuesday night. Steven walked four times.
NY batters were hit-by-pitch four times. For
the first time this season, NY is officially in
danger of falling out of first place.
- July 18 - NY defeated NT 8-2 in their fourth
rivalry game of the season. James hit a
two-run homerun over the fence at Talbot Park.
Andrew struck out 11 NT batters. The game was
attended by many friends and family members from
- July 13 - Pictures from the
Oshawa tournament, the Pittsburgh tournament, and
other season games added. Statistics
- July 10 - NY never trailed in any of the three
Sunday games of the Oshawa tournament. NY last
won the Oshawa tournament in
2006 (picture) and has finished as
semi-finalists or better in seven consecutive
seasons since 2005.
- July 10 - NY defeated East York 2 by a 7-3 score
to win the Oshawa tournament. Mikey pitched a
complete game and gave up no earned runs.
James raised his average to a team-leading .413 with
his nine hits in five games.
- July 10 - Andrew struck out ten batters as NY
defeated Mississauga Southwest 7-5 in the
semi-finals of the Oshawa tournament. Matt
recorded the save. Mikey hit a three-run
homerun (his fourth homerun of the year and third of
the tournament) and Daniel H hit a two-run home-run
in the same inning.
- July 10 - NY won their first game on Sunday (the
final round robin game against Kingston) by a 13-6
score. Daniel H and Allan each pitched three
innings. Umesh had three RBI. NY batters
did not strike out.
- July 9 - Tyson pitched 6 sparkling innings as NY
defeated Mississauga Southwest 7-5 in the third game
of the Oshawa tournament. Steven recorded the
save with the bases-loaded in the 7th. NY
qualified for the semi-finals and potentially play
three games on Sunday.
- July 9 - Mikey won a custom-made bat for winning
the homerun derby at the Oshawa tournament.
- July 9 - Mikey (2), Andrew, and Owen hit
homeruns in an 11-9 loss to EY2. NY was down
6-1 before taking a 7-6 lead in the 5th - but EY2
retook the lead in their half of the inning.
- July 9 - NY's consecutive inning streak of not
striking out reached 18 innings before Thomas struck
out to lead off the 4th inning against East York 2.
- July 8 - NY won the first game of the Oshawa
tournament against hometown team Oshawa by a 6-1
score. Mikey pitched a complete game. NY
batters have not struck out in 15 consecutive
- July 6 - NY defeated Scarborough 10-8 in a wild
and confusing game. Down 4-0 after 5 innings,
NY chipped away and eventually took a 10-4 lead into
the 9th. Alex pitched three shutout innings in
his season debut. Scott finished the game on
the mound. NY pitchers struck out 14 batters
and NY hitters hit 5 doubles. The game ended
on a throw to the plate from Umesh in LF.
- July 4 - NY Midgets returned from Pittsburgh
with an 0-4 record. NY first played two close
games - losing 6-4 to a local team from Lehigh
Valley and 10-9 to a team from Maryland. The
third game against a team from New Jersey was tied
3-3 in the 6th before the opponents scored multiple
runs to win 12-3. The fourth game at the
University of Pittsburgh was a 10-3 loss to a team
from New York.
- June 26 - NY defeated Richmond Hill 8-3 in Game
#3 of their five-game rivalry series - to
the series (picture). Thomas ended the
first game by striking out three times, started the
second game by walking three times, and finished his
day with a solo home-run.
- June 26 - NY defeated Richmond Hill 3-2 in Game
#2 of their five-game rivalry series. RH
scored two runs in the top of the 7th to tie the
game - and NY won in the 10th on Allan's perfect
suicide squeeze. Owen struck out 11 batters in
- June 23 - Matt pitched four solid innings in
relief but NY lost 5-4 to Etobicoke in a metal-bat
tune-up game. Scott hit a home run. Both
Etobicoke and NY are going to Pittsburgh and were
scheduled to play each other - until the schedule
was fortunately corrected.
- June 19 - NY ended its 15-game unbeaten streak
in spectacular fashion - by losing all three games
of the Ajax tournament. NY first faced
two AAA teams and were physically and mentally tired
by the Saturday afternoon game. NY was outhit
32-17 over the three games.
- June 15 - Daniel M became the only NY Midgets
player to participate in all 15 games this season.
- June 15 - With the victory over the Ontario
Women, NY's full season record stands at 14-0-1.
- June 15 - NY banged out 13 hits in a 5-1 victory
over the Team Ontario Women on Wednesday night.
NY graciously accepted the services of two players
from the NY Major Bantam AA team which eased the
sting of eight absent players (due to work and
school commitments). James punctuated the
victory by throwing a strike from 1st base to 3rd
base to cut down a runner trying to advance on a
fielder's choice for the final out of the game.
- June 13 - NY ended its 13-0 winning streak with
a 10-10 tie against West Toronto on Monday night.
The score was 9-3 for West Toronto after four
innings - but NY battled back to tie the game.
Andrew pitched 4 innings of shutdown baseball in
relief. NY made 8 errors during the game.
Both teams somehow managed to walk ten batters each.
The game was the longest of the year - lasting 2
hours and 35 minutes.
- June 9 - Saturday practice is canceled and
Sunday's "father's day practice" instead becomes a
regular practice beginning at 10:30am.
"Father's day batting practice" will be rescheduled
for mid-to-late July.
- June 9 - NY defeated a resilient North Toronto
team and, in the process of improving our TBA record
to 10-0, won the best-of-five Howie Birnie Challenge
Cup series with NT. Unfortunately North
Toronto forgot to bring the trophy to the game.
- June 9 - Thursday's performance against North
Toronto was partly inspired by guest coach
- a three-year NY Midget veteran and key component
of NY's 2008 CABA Michigan State tournament victory.
- June 7 - NY extended its winning streak to 12-0.
In TBA play, NY is 9-0 which leads all teams in all
age groups from both the TBA and YSBA affiliates.
- June 7 - Allan pitched a career-high three
innings of middle relief as NY hung on to beat York
4-2. Marlon pitched three innings to start the
game and Owen recorded his third save of the year.
Tyson had three RBI.
- June 7 - By defeating York, NY broke a
three-season long curse of losing to York in early
June. On June 12th 2008, NY lost 8-6. On
June 2nd 2009, NY lost 9-3. Last season, on
June 1st 2010, NY lost 6-4.
- June 5 - Making the best of a bad situation, NY
and RY moved their double-header to Sunday June 5th.
NY defeated RY in both games - 7-4 and 4-0.
James pitched the complete first game and Nik scored
three runs. In the second game, Owen pitched a
perfect game through 5 2/3 innings before giving up
a hit. Standings and
- June 4 - Two games vs. Royal York have been
moved from July 14th to tomorrow - Sunday June 5th
at Tom Riley Park. First game starts at
- June 4 - In a decision that can be described as
puzzling or ridiculous, the Bolton tournament
organizers decided, on Saturday morning, to cancel
the entire tournament. Though the rain had
stopped, as per the forecast, by 1:00pm, it was
apparently enough to cancel games all weekend.
- June 3 - Tyson pitched his third consecutive
complete game, Mikey hit a home run, and NY defeated
Martingrove 11-2 in the first game of the Bolton
tournament. NY plays twice Saturday - vs.
Guelph and vs. Oshawa.
- June 2 - Owen hit a homerun and Matt struck out
nine batters in five innings as NY defeated the Team
Ontario Women by a 3-0 score. Nik recorded the
- May 29 - Tyson pitched a 5-inning no-hitter
against East York 2 - as NY defeated EY2 by a final
score of 11-0. Tyson only faced one batter
over the minimum and only two EY2 players reached
first base. Umesh scored three runs and
had three RBI. NY is 5-0 in TBA play - and 7-0
- May 29 - Tyson's no-hitter was was the 6th
no-hitter pitched by NY Midget pitchers since 2006.
The most recent no-hitter by an NY Midget pitcher
was thrown by Marlon against Toronto Playgrounds
exactly one year earlier - on May 29th 2010.
- May 26 - Game against West Toronto is
rescheduled for Monday June 13th at Keelesdale.
- May 26 - An understaffed NY Midget team defeated
Martingrove 11-3 on Thursday. NY scored seven
runs in the 6th inning. Pitchers Marlon and
Andrew combined to strikeout 12 Martingrove batters
and only gave up two walks.
- May 22 - Tuesday practice is canceled.
- May 22 - Tyson pitched a complete-game against
Etobicoke AAA on Sunday and only gave up two runs
(both unearned) as NY beat the Rangers 6-2.
Owen had three hits (of NY's total ten) and the team
played solid defense after the first inning.
NY Midgets moved to 5-0 on the year.
- May 21 - NY Midgets used a 5-run 6th inning to
come back from a 4-1 deficit and defeat Richmond
Hill by a final score of 8-5. The big inning
was keyed by RBI singles from both Allan and Alex.
Steven pitched five innings of relief for the win.
This game was Game #1 of a three (or five) game
'Midget Rivalry Series' against Richmond Hill.
- May 19 - Thursday game canceled. Game vs.
Etobicoke rescheduled for Sunday at 10:30am at Bond.
- May 17 - Tuesday game canceled.
- May 14 - Sunday practice is canceled.
- May 13 - Saturday practice is canceled.
- May 7 - NY Midgets scored two runs on wild
pitches and added a sacrifice fly to defeat North
Toronto 3-2 in the first regular season game.
This game was also Game #2 of the Howie Birnie
Challenge Cup. Tyson hit his second double of
the season and Owen recorded his second save.
- May 6 - Saturday game location changed to Bond
- May 3 - Tuesday practice is canceled.
- May 1 - Thursday's game is canceled (no lights)
and changed into a practice starting at 6:00pm.
Practices this week are Tuesday and Thursday with
the next game on Saturday at Keelesdale.
- May 1 - North York defeated North Toronto in
Game #1 of the five game rivalry series for the
Howie Birnie Challenge Cup. NY tallied 13 hits
and struck out 10 NT batters. Thomas, Tyson,
and Nik all had doubles. Steven was the
pitcher of record for the win and Owen recorded the
- May 1 - The Howie Birnie Challenge Cup is a
five-game rivalry series between the North York
Midgets and the North Toronto Midgets. The
rivalry series includes the three regularly
scheduled games between NY and NT as well as two
- Apr 28 - Thursday practice canceled.
- Apr 26 - Tuesday practice canceled.
- Apr 25 - Full schedule
updated. Park addresses are on the
Directions / Maps page.
- Apr 18 - Practices resume starting with Saturday
at 10:30am. We've canceled the exhibition game
we had initially scheduled for that date.
- Apr 15 - Practices at Bond are postponed for
- Apr 11 - Congratulations Scott Lang for
backstopping the Hillcrest Canadians on route
winning to the GTHL Midget 'A' Championship!
Scott started every game in goal during the final
series against Vaughan. Nice Scotty !
- Mar 31 - Practices this weekend (April 2nd &
April 3rd) and on Thursday (April 7th) are all
canceled because of the cold weather. First
outdoor practice is scheduled for Sunday April 10th.
- Mar 31 - Do your homework !
- Mar 31 - Welcome James Wakutz! The
NY Midgets continue to collect players from the
North York Major Peewee AAA team.
- Mar 31 - Exhibition game vs. Toronto Mets added
for Saturday April 23rd at 10:00am
- Mar 15 - Oshawa tournament added
- Mar 13 - Spring practice schedule added.
Some dates to be changed or removed based on weather
and field conditions.
- Mar 6 - We are potentially looking for a 16th
player to add to our roster. If you are
interested in being considered please check
- Mar 6 - We canceled our two workouts at Core
Body Science on March 26th
- Mar 3 - Uniform fitting days are Saturday and
Sunday - March 5th and March 6th - at Bond between
10:00am and 5:00pm on both days.
- Feb 14 -
Brandon Barber (NY Midgets '07-'08) scored three
goals at the Men's Indoor Field Hockey World Cup in
Poland - where Canada finished in 10th place.
Canada lost a
tough final game 7-6 to Iran. The
Indoor Hockey World Cup is held every four years and
represents arguably the highest level of competition
for the sport. Amazing Brandon! Keep on
earning those caps!
- Jan 18 - Ajax tournament added
- Jan 12 - Final workout date added
- Dec 20 - Full indoor schedule posted
- Dec 20 - Two tournaments entered
- Dec 20 - Website updated
2010 Updates and Highlights
Updates and Highlights
- 2008 Updates and Highlights